17 June 2008 - Mayer Brown LLP, a leading global law firm, announced today that the 2008 edition of Legal 500 United States ranks the firm's practices in 27 categories, including top-tier rankings in six categories:
- Finance: Structured Finance - Securitization;
- Litigation: Supreme Court and Appellate;
- Media, Technology & Telecoms: Technology - Outsourcing;
- Mergers, Acquisitions & Buyouts: M&A: National Firms - Large Deals;
- Tax: Domestic Tax - Central; and
- Tax: Tax Controversy.
For securitization work, "Mayer Brown is 'the firm to go to for leading-edge, intellectual partner time' and ranks at the top in expertise and the capacity to innovate," Legal 500 says. "The team is also noted for an expertise in financial accounting, prompting a client's praise that 'they're better than most CPAs I work with.'" Mayer Brown's merger with JSM gives the practice global coverage, the publication adds.
The prowess of Mayer Brown's Supreme Court & Appellate practice "continues unabated," Legal 500 says. "Clients enthuse that 'the depth and breadth of the practice is unrivalled,' due not only to its 'tremendous depth of expertise' but also to its ability to 'bring so many creative lawyers to work on matters.'" Clients also lauded "their ability to marshal those resources to address a variety of issues," the publication says.
"Described by clients as 'absolutely top-notch,' Mayer Brown's US outsourcing team is renowned for its high-quality service," Legal 500 says. "Clients say that the 'service is world-class,' with a 'very strong team' producing 'fantastic work product.' Clients are voluble in their praise for Mayer Brown, confirming that 'in the event of any sensitive matter affecting my company, Mayer Brown would be the first firm I would think to call.'"
In the mergers and acquisitions arena, Mayer Brown's M&A practice "retains a strong market position on both sides of the Atlantic, with depth and breadth to cater to a diverse range of clients," Legal 500 says, adding that "Clients are generous with their appraisal of the practice - one describes the firm as 'solution-oriented and creative, as opposed to simply pointing out hurdles.' Another appreciates the 'thoroughness' of the M&A team."
Mayer Brown's Chicago Tax practice earned the only top ranking awarded by Legal 500 in its category. Well known for transactional and restructuring tax work, the practice also offers a "good mix of transactional tax lawyers and litigators," Legal 500 says. The publication cites the practice's "wide experience of real estate instructions" including financing, corporate transactions and insurance and reinsurance.
While Mayer Brown's Tax Controversy practice is "one of very few with the resources to support a major tax trial" and has "litigated more than 100 cases.the firm's real reputation lies in resolving disputes." Legal 500 says. "Clients confirm that the firm displays 'masterful ball-play, not an opportunity to score was missed' and describe the firm as 'calm and polite,' although they 'never gave an inch when half an inch would do.'"
The publication also lists 13 Mayer Brown partners as "Leading Lawyers" in their practice categories, including:
- Jason Kravitt, Finance: Structured Finance - Securitization;
- Jon van Gorp, Finance: Structured Finance - Derivatives and Structured Products;
- Joseph Mahoney, Intellectual Property: Patent Litigation - Life Sciences/Chemical;
- Thomas Skinner, Litigation: Environment;
- Stephen Shapiro, Litigation: Supreme Court & Appellate;
- Theodore Livingston, Litigation: Telecoms;
- Brad Peterson, Media, Technology and Telecoms: Technology - Outsourcing;
- Paul Roy, Media, Technology and Telecoms: Technology - Outsourcing;
- Scott Davis, Mergers, Acquisitions & Buyouts: M&A: National Firms - Large Deals;
- Alvin Katz, Real Estate: Illinois-Transactional and Finance;
- Ivan Kane, Real Estate: Illinois - Land Use and Zoning;
- Thomas Bottomlee, Tax: Domestic Tax - Central; and
- Joel Williamson, Tax - Tax Controversy.
Following is a complete list of this year's practice category rankings in Legal 500 US for Mayer Brown.
- Bank Lending - National (5)
- Capital Markets - Debt Offerings - Advice to Issuers (2)
- Capital Markets - Debt Offerings - Advice to Managers (3)
- Capital Markets - High Yield Debt Offerings - Advice to Managers (2)
- Corporate Restructuring (4)
- Project Finance - Advice to Lenders (3)
- Structured Finance - Securitization (1)
- Structured Finance - Derivatives and Structured Products (2)
- Patent Litigation - Life Sciences/Chemical (2)
Investment Fund Formation and Management
- Alternative/Hedge Funds (4)
- Private Equity Funds (5)
Labor and EmploymentLitigation
- Antitrust (4)
- Environment (3)
- Supreme Court and Appellate (1)
- Telecoms (2)
- White-Collar Criminal Defense - Full Service (7)
Media, Technology and Telecoms
Mergers, Acquisitions and Buyouts
- Technology - Outsourcing (1)
- M&A: National Firms - Large Deals (1)
- District of Columbia - Transactions and Finance (4)
- Illinois - Transactions and Finance (3)
- Illinois - Land Use and Zoning (3)
- New York - Capital Markets (4)
- Domestic Tax - Central (1)
- International Tax (3)
- Tax Controversy (1)