Samantha C. Booth
Samantha Booth is a senior associate in the firm’s Chicago and Palo Alto Litigation & Dispute Resolution groups and a member of the firm’s global Cybersecurity & Data Privacy and Supreme Court & Appellate practices. Samantha routinely authors briefs and motions in high-stakes litigation involving questions of first impression—including before the United States Supreme Court—and has argued before the Ninth Circuit, Fourth Circuit, and various California trial and appellate courts. Clients look to Samantha for creative solutions to complex legal questions, and Samantha has secured victories for her clients on a wide range of dispositive motions and class action issues, and at all stages of litigation and arbitration.
Substantively, Samantha’s practice focuses on helping clients navigate cutting-edge issues at the nexus of consumer protection, data privacy, and speech-related litigation, as well as shape policy through Government-facing actions. For example, Samantha has:
- Secured complete dismissal of a suit against an automobile manufacturer seeking to create novel privacy rights;
- Secured complete dismissal with costs of a putative TCPA action against a ride-sharing company;
- Secured reversal of an adverse judgment on appeal in a case involving First Amendment rights to engage in campaign speech;
- Secured numerous preliminary victories for a technology company challenging restraints on corporate speech related to data privacy;
- Secured favorable preliminary rulings for a technology client asserting defamation claims;
- Secured a full judgment, after arbitration, in favor of a client in a contract dispute;
- Counseled clients across industries on compliance with various state cybersecurity and data-privacy laws, including the CCPA; and
- Counseled clients across industries on corporate speech issues.
Samantha also routinely publishes on cybersecurity and data-privacy issues and has authored numerous amicus briefs supporting speech rights in First Amendment cases. Prior to joining the firm, Samantha graduated Order of the Coif from UCLA School of Law. She also clerked for the Honorable Carlos T. Bea on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and worked for two years for a respected JAMS arbitrator.